Making an effort to improve indoor air quality can help you avoid allergy symptoms, asthma flare-ups, respiratory problems, and can keep you breathing easier. While it’s not possible to eliminate 100% of the allergens inside your home, there are steps you can take to reduce the number by making some simple changes.
- Keep your home clean – A clean house is a healthier house, because keeping it clean can greatly cut down on dust and animal dander. When cleaning, you should focus on vacuuming the carpets to reduce the accumulation of pet dander, mold and dust. Regularly washing bedding and window coverings in water at least 130 degrees Fahrenheit will also reduce allergens.
- Change your air filters – Changing your air filters regularly will ensure cleaner, fresher and healthier air. A clean air filter means you are not constantly circulating dust, dust mites, pollen and other small particles. A clean air filter will also keep your keep your HVAC system running smoothly because it does a better job of trapping dirt and debris before it can enter the system while also preventing the restricted airflow and resulting issues that arise from dirty filters. At Cool Guys, our Keep It Cool maintenance customers receive filters and a monthly reminder to change them. Call (210) 534-COOL (2665) for more information.
- Invest in an air-purifier or a whole-home indoor air quality device – This can vastly improve your internal environment by reducing unwanted germs and allergens. All air purifiers are different, but some can kill up to 99% of bacteria, mold, viruses and allergens found in the home. Cool Guys can help with Indoor Air Quality.
- Keep plants outdoors – While some plants have been known to help indoor air quality because they release oxygen and remove CO2 and other gases, they are still allergy triggers for many people, creating more problems than they help. Plants foster the growth of mold, so if indoor allergens are a problem, you’ll want to keep your pretty greenery outdoors.
- Let the fresh air in – Stale indoor air and heating systems can increase the amount of allergy-triggering dust mites, pet dander and mold spores circulating through your home. Get those allergens out by opening your windows from time to time and allow fresh air to move into and circulate throughout your home.
We hope these tips will help you breathe a little easier. If you are interested in a whole-home indoor air quality unit, let The Cool Guys help you choose the right one for your home. Give us a call today at 210-534-2665 for all your air conditioning and heating needs!